Thursday, March 31, 2011

Firsts


At a day and age where it feels like youth is corrupted with unlimited texting, Jersey Shore, and the internet, it's nice to know that there are still some firsts left to be discovered. Like the movie The Sixth Sense, which I was pleasantly surprised to find that many of students had never seen.

This is a fantastic movie to teach foreshadowing with, given that all the heart-stopping scenes (ie. ghastly pale Mischa Barton with vomit trickling down her chin) are removed. There are pivotal scenes that lends itself to giving a overarching synopsis of the plot.

I only had to show about 20 minutes of the movie, and I stayed quiet as they debated what had occurred at the end. I was watching one student clarify, in sheer annoyance of another student's confusion, explain the twist ending. And watching the listening student's jaw drop at the sheer novelty of the plot, made my day.

1 comment: