Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A keeper





Premise: A quirky, teenage girl who dubs herself as Stargirl, experiences her first break up. She keeps a journal which are essentially letters to her ex-boyfriend, Leo. Here's one of her letters:

February 28 

It snowed yesterday. Today the world is white. I put on my boots and walked to Enchanted Hill. It was as pure and perfect as a new sheet of paper. I took one step onto the field and stopped. What was I doing?

The pure whiteness, dazzling in the sun, was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. Who was I to spoil it? Snow falls. Earth says: Here-a gift for you. And what do we do? We shovel it. Blow it. Scrape it. Plow it. Get it out of our way. We push it to our fringes. Is there anything uglier or sadder than a ten-day-old snow dump? It's not even snow anymore. It's slush. 

Was that beginning to be us, Leo? I'd rather never see you again than have that happen. We were once so fresh, a dazzling snowfield. Let's promise to each other that if we ever meet again we will never plow or push our new-fallen snow. We will not become slush. We will stay like this field and melt away together only in the sun's good time. 

I backed off carefully, stepping out of the one footprint, and walked away. 




*I can't help but think of my students when visualizing this pristine snow field. Their youth, despite what they may think, is in my eyes not yet marred by mistakes and regrets. Even for an old fogey like me, it's a pretty powerful metaphor for looking at life. 


2 comments: