Sunday, November 29, 2009

Chocolaty Goodness

It was officially Chocolate Day in room B15 because what could be more engaging than food? My students are so concrete that they need all 5 of their senses lassoed and captivated in order to be edutained. Solution: a lesson using my favorite food source.

We started off with a discussion about different types of nouns that required chocolatey answers:


Then came the queen herself robed in a golden cloak. I made sure that a student who’s never tried a Ferrero Rocher before got to sample one. The price was to give an abstract noun afterwards about the inner feeling that this jewel of hazelnut goodness conjured (bliss, contentment, satisfaction).


Afraid of a riot after only giving out a single Ferrero Rocher, I had to offer more chocolate to the suddenly hungry masses. I posted them with Forest Gump’s simile, “Life is like a box of chocolates…you never know what you’re gonna get next”, and had them analyze the heck out of it. Only the groups who were actually discussing the many meanings behind the quote got to have an assortment, rather than a box of chocolates.


The boxes of chocolates were for the groups with the best explanations.


I feel a little guilty treating my students like performing seals at Sea World, but I’m hoping they grasp the bigger simile here: that learning is just as fulfilling, sustaining, and delicious as chocolate. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!


No comments:

Post a Comment