Monday, October 26, 2009

On the flipside

When the natural frustrations of teaching adolescents REALLY get to me, I know that I need to get away from my role as a teacher and plop into the student's desk. It's always humbling to be on the other side, fumbling about awkwardly and asking the dumb questions. 

Except I don't endure the torture of writing essays and filling out grammar worksheets like what I subject my own students to. Instead of a pencil, I'm armed with a spatula and my medium is chocolate. Dark, velvety, smoldering 72% cacao, 
chocolate. 




But one note about being on the other side...

I'll never be an innocent student again. My teaching instincts kick in, and I can't seem to shut it off. So when the male students in the background started giggling about the teacher's comments about stiff whipped cream, and her preferability in the hardness of it...I couldn't help but glare at them.  

How could I not be the teacher's empathizer when it comes to disciplining her students? I answered her questions eagerly, laughed a little too loud at her jokes, and scowled in the general direction of snickering. I'm a wolf in sheep's clothing. 

1 comment:

  1. hahahahhaa
    you are funny ms. jane :)
    is this the hipcooks class you were talking about? it looks funnnnn~ and man, boys will be boys! haha
    and yes, lets take a trip to abbot kinney whenever you are free!
    as always, i have too much time :p hehe (friday, saturday... hahaha)

    ReplyDelete