Monday, April 20, 2009

Quick Fix

If Thursday is the new Friday, then why does going out on Thursday night always lead to inevitable regret? Friday morning found me baggy eyed and half zombied. And of course that is the day that all middle school students decide to join forces and be on their craziest behavior.

Friday is also the day that I have a weekly raffle. Popsicle sticks with students' names written on it are picked randomly and given a prize if they've been good. Problem was that I was completely out of candy. Zip, zero, not even a tiny jolly rancher rolling around in the cabinet, nada.

With period 1 commencing in mere minutes, I bolted out of my classroom in heels and knocked on every nearby door.
"Do you *gasp* have any candy in your classroom? Sorry, sorry for bothering you."
"Uh, candy, like what kind?"
"Oh my god, anything, any old easter or valentines candy. Maybe 10 or more if you have it. Anything please!"
"Let me check," says a teacher, eying me strangely. I hear the bottom of a drawer being scraped. "Thank you! Thank you! I REALLY needed this!" I say as I grab a handful of old, crusty tootsie rolls.

Today, I found this teacher and thanked her for her generiosity. She nodded understandingly and shared, "You know, sometimes I just need candy badly too. Just one of those days, and you feel like you'll die without that sugar rush. So, did you enjoy it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment