Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A girl named M.

Today, I was reminded of one of my favorite songs by Regina Spektor titled "Laughing With".

"No one laughs at God in a hospital
No one laughs at God in a war
No one's laughing at God
When they've lost all they've got and they don't know what for
...

But God could be funny
When told he'll give you money if you just pray the right way
And when presented like a genie who does magic like Houdini
Or grants wishes like Jiminy Cricket and Santa Claus
God can be so hilarious..."

I thought of this song as I noticed teachers saying a whole lotta "Oh lord"s, "Dear god"s, "jesus"es. I guess the first week of school brings out the fervor in teachers, but there has been a ton of prayers sent today just from my school alone. It made me think about when it is that divine intervention becomes necessary instead of supplementary.

Which brings me to M.

I could tell she's gonna be one of those students who reminds me of how much I need God. Some thoughts will be blasphemous: "Oh Lord, why do you send such hurdles in my way?". Others will be pleading: "Lord, please give me the patience to deal with this child."

It's only the 2nd day and yet she has shown me that she can be defiant and unmotivated. We haven't gotten into any major hurdles yet, but I could whiff trouble from her a mile away. Thankfully, her 6th grade teacher, who adores her and happens to be a close friend of mine, gave me some much needed insight. M. has gone through enough family troubles to leave her angry for the rest of her life. She has been disappointed time and time again, so why should she crack a smile for a teacher she has barely known for 48 hours? I realize how stupid I am, to be upset at the display of uncooperative behavior when it really isn't about me at all.

And so I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment