Monday, September 13, 2010

Before & After



The old me would've written out a script to recite verbatim on the first day of school.
The new me barely had time to write the day's agenda on the board before the bell rang.

The old me would've planned out my entire wardrobe for the 1st week of school.
Now, the new me plans the entire lunch menu to pack for the 1st week of school.

The old me would've started planning a weekend getaway vacation by now, cruising cheapflights.com
The new me started my second job today tutoring high school kids to earn some extra money.

Times are certainly changing. For a long time, I was torn on deciding whether all this change was for the better or worse. I would mask my ambivalence about my changing demeanor and attitude towards teaching by saying that I was now "different".

But I've officially decided-change is good. I used to worry myself sick the night before school began (which was ironically how I ended up being late to Homeroom on my first day as a teacher). I've never felt as relaxed as I did the start of this year and I see that it's rubbing off on the kids.

The old me would've been in mourning, knowing that the tales of the bygone summer burned onto my skin would fade away as the school months progressed. The new me ran at the beach yesterday with a dear friend and laughed until my face hurt. Now I see that grief has no place in this ever-changing whirlwind called life. There are beginnings and ends but they are all connected. Life moves on.

No comments:

Post a Comment