Sunday, October 3, 2010

SOS

Ask and you shall receive...

I really love the Staples commercials where a distressed person simply has to press the big red EASY button to solve all problems. That easy button is definitely on my wish list this year.

If I had that button before I would've probably broken it by now. The worst part about teaching is when I feel absolutely useless in helping a student to learn. Whether it's watching a student passively waste away their brains or actively annoy me to the point where I don't even want to help, nothing is as draining as observing a failing student.

So I hungrily devoured many a teaching guides, one of them being Tools For Teaching by Fred Jones. And thank God I did because what I found were some brilliant strategies to help every student, one of them being the Visual Instructional Plan. Translation-telling the students what to do with symbols or drawings:



End Result

So doodling in some symbols may not sound like a big deal, but it has saved me so much time and energy in terms of helping all students-from chronic handraisers to those who act they're too cool for school. I don't have to make anyone feel dumb as I just point to the board in response to their questions.

As for the bigger wishes, like having more patience, peace, and love for the students, I have to resort to greater powers. But right now, I challenge Monday to come my way. I welcome the month of October, and I'm beckoning an entire successful school year to unravel. I'm filled to the brim with love & hope. My prayers have been answered :]

No comments:

Post a Comment