Saturday, August 21, 2010

Love & Marriage-Part II


This time, I want to talk about marriage more in the literal sense seeing as how my sister just got married this past weekend (and was the most beautiful bride, I might add).

She was also the most relaxed bride I had ever seen, which only served to enhance her exterior beauty. She understood that the wedding wasn’t about making some feminine fantasy come true, but a formal, rather traditional celebration for families. She whole-heartedly accepted the Korean wedding traditions knowing that was what our family and what her husband’s family wanted. There were no ethereal engagement photos, Snow-white themed decorations adorning the chapel, or vintage 1950 cars sweeping them off to their honeymoon suite. It was simply pink & white, short & sweet.

And this acceptance on my sister’s part taught me much about…teaching. I view the first day of school of this dreamy day where a new chapter begins as I make my vows to educate each one of those shining, pure faces. I become a bashful, blushing bride as I fantasize about the happy year I will lead with my new students. And then that romantic resolution goes flying out the classroom window about after a month. I’m beginning to think that the secret to a long lasting relationship may be facing certain truths.

Therefore, I have mapped out some realities for myself as the big day approaches and I face my new batch of students:

1. They will be annoying. They’re 12 year olds and truth be told, I wasn’t much less annoying at their age.
1. Their main concern is looking good in front of their peers and not so much looking good in front of me.
3. They won’t be self-motivated.
4. They will not like being prodded to be self-motivated.
5. They will not like being prodded to be self-motivated even if you show them love. Or hatred.
6. They must be tricked into doing their work and raising their grade.
7. And the tricks must be engaging, intelligent, and seemingly effortless. Full on David Blaine.
8. But they must be tricked with a heart that’s directed more at their successes than my own.
9. I am not, nor will ever be their mom, sister, or psychologist.
10. It is my job is to teach every single one of them. Even the ones who stink.

No comments:

Post a Comment