Monday, May 17, 2010

Snapshots

It takes me an extraordinarily long time to grade papers. This is the only time that I lament the fact that I chose to teach English instead of Home Ec. or PE.

Last week

A really pretty latte seems to ease the sting of grading papers. Or sitting next to a fireplace in which a stack of papers can conveniently fall into also helps to brighten my mood. I stare out the window, wishing I could be somewhere, anywhere but here grading papers on a sunny afternoon.


This week

Game time: no pretty lattes, no cozy cafes. Straight up business at Starbucks. I neatly line up 2 syringe-like pens like an OCD nurse. A cell phone to time myself for a 30 min. workout session accompanied by a 5 min break. Coffee-strong and black.


And then I'll come along a paragraph like this that makes me crack up, reminding me why it is that I heart English. This is just one snapshot of many interesting goals I came across from my students who had to write a biography of their entire lives in the 3rd person point of view:



No comments:

Post a Comment