Wednesday, March 24, 2010

We run LA

If you told me last March that I'd be running the LA marathon a year later, I would've questioned your sanity. So when I was asked to help out with a program called Students Run LA in September I made it perfectly clear to the teachers and students involved that I would not, under any circumstance, be running 26 miles. I'd simply be running the practice runs with them until my feet wore out and I inevitably hit the wall. 


And my feet did wear out. I did hit the wall. Multiple times. I even fell flat on my face and have a scar in the shape of North America to prove it. But the only reason why I decided beyond all logic to actually run the marathon was because of the kids. About half were former students and seeing them on a weekly basis, watching them creep up their mileage from 2 miles to 14, and then to 20 was nothing short of amazing. But they got tired waking up for 6:45 am runs, they looked longingly at the 7 elevens and Starbucks we passed during practice runs. Some of them followed in my footsteps and body slammed into the concrete sidewalk. But they all got up...and ran. All nine of them safely and soundly finished the marathon this past Sunday. And I couldn't be prouder.  


No comments:

Post a Comment