Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Rising from the ashes


I wanted to title this blog, "Phoenix" to describe an improved lesson plan from previous years but in all honesty, it ain't that good. I'm just excited to add on a new element to a previous project, even if it isn't phenomenally better. It's one of the perks of teaching...you always get a second chance.

So my annual feast of idioms lesson got a little sprucing up this year. Usually I end the lesson with a worksheet on which students have to:
- list 6 different idioms
-write the real meaning of them
-incorporate into a sentence
But a student out of all people told me about how her previous teacher made them write whole paragraphs using one idiom.

She was complaining, but I droned her out as the cogs in my brain started whirling. My mind drifted off into storyland where the students would create their very own story based on 1 of the 6 idioms, complete with illustrations!


Need I mention that cut the cheese was the most popular choice amongst my oh-so-sophisticated 12 year old students? But as long as it's a dang good story, they can cut the cheese as often as they want.

2 comments:

  1. you know what i love most about this post? that the cupcake looks like an old fashioned from miette. MMMMmmm. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. you forgot the holes in the cheese. Swiss cheese that is! Not Kraft.

    ReplyDelete