Thursday, October 21, 2010

Freewrite

I know that my previous entry was all about limiting error through a very controlled environment, but when dealing with real human beans, it's important to let loose once in awhile. That's when I like to offer up freewrites in which the students are encouraged to write freely without the restrictions of grammar, spelling, or rubric.

This freewrite's topic was: The hardest lesson I ever had to learn in life was to ___________. I learned this when____________________.

The responses ranged from:

"I don't really know what I'm saying now but the directions said to write at least one page."

"I really love expressing myself like this. It's awesome!!!"

I feel like I got the whole gamut of experiences. From physical pain, death (Oh Mr. Fluff, you white rabbit, why did you have to go to bunny heaven so soon?), and academic pressures, some revealed much while others veiled topics that were too personal. And though I could only lamely write "I can relate to you" "That is so true" "I think that the past pain has only made you stronger", I'm grateful for those who wrote freely.

No comments:

Post a Comment