Tuesday, September 15, 2009

"Bouquet of newly sharpened pencils"

By the powers bestowed upon me by LAUSD, I declare September to be NATIONAL PENCIL MONTH. The scratch of a #2 on a blank white sheet of paper is magical and apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks so. This is a poem by Violeta, a good friend of mine who used her muse, a pencil, to illustrate the use of metaphors to students. Thanks Vi! 


Survival of a Pencil

I am a pencil
Slender yet shrinking.
I hide myself in the morning.
I am used everyday, sometimes abused
and occasionally I break...
maybe even snap.

All day long I write,
I record.
By the middle of the day
I'm used, worn down.
Slowly I disappear.
All day long,
Right side up, upside down
I have no control.

I learn from my mistakes,
I am valued because I can make mistakes.
Unlike my cousin the pen,
who is bold...exact, permanent.
Some prefer me better.

On days when I'm not at my sharpest
I'm completely ignored.

All in all,
I feel helpful.
And in the end
When I'm down to a bit,
I'll know I spent my life
helping others figure it all out.
I'll know I made a difference.

1 comment: