Monday, January 11, 2010

Apples of my eye

First day back from winter break and it has been filled with reminders of why teaching is the greatest profession:

1. Walking my sleep deprived, blurry eyed self across the hall and hearing Ana yell out, "Ms. Won! My darling~I missed you!"

2. Asking Jose, my most prolific tagger, to help me sort through a stack of students' papers as opposed to adding more decorations to his already colorful binder. His face breaking out into an impish, adorably boyish grin. Although knowing that he'll go right back to cursing the living daylights out of me when I confiscate his artwork, feeling the pleasure of having a moment's worth of connection with him. 

3. Watching Jennifer trudge up my steps when 6th period began. Then asking her how her break was. Her shrugging and then wordlessly diving into me for a hug. 

The perks of teaching are as quiet as a field of sunflowers craning their necks toward the direction of the sun. Strange, glorious, and exquisitely heart-breaking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment